Hashtags are important when marketing a real estate business on social media – especially to millennials.
Combinations of letters, numbers and emoji starting with the # symbol categorize content on social media to make it more discoverable. Clicking on a hashtag or searching for a hashtag displays results with all the posts tagged with it.
A few hashtags real estate professionals should consider are:Set featured image
- #[your location], which will help people searching for a home in their area
- #[your location + school district], which will help parents looking for a new home in a particular school district
- #[local attractions], avoiding hashtags for attractions that are not relevant to their listing
- #[area + style], which helps if a buyer is looking for a specific type of home in the area
- #[your brokerage], which makes it easy for searchers to find everything related to the brokerage in one place
- #[generic, relevant words], like #DreamHome, #HouseGoals or other trendy hashtags that could increase the reach of their post
Tools like Hashtagify can suggest relevant hashtags and show how many people are using them. Agents should choose a hashtag that has a sizeable reach but not so big that their post gets lost in the noise.
They also should consider what their competitors are doing with hashtags and use some of the same ones so they’ll appear in similar search results.
As for the number of hashtags per post, TrackMaven found that Instagram posts with nine hashtags receive the most engagement, but Twitter posts with just one hashtag receive the most engagement.
Ultimately, agents should let the content of their post inform how many hashtags to use and ensure they are all relevant to the content they are posting.
Source: RISMedia (02/17/19) Petersen, Alexis
© Copyright 2019 INFORMATION INC., Bethesda, MD (301) 215-4688